How to Cook a Turkey in the oven

I've been roasting turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners for over 35 years, and I've pretty well-tried everything. I've purchased young, organic, kosher, frozen, large, tiny, pre-brined tinnies and self-basting. I have tried everything. In my search for the ideal roast turkey, I've brined, basted, not basted, roasted the entire bird in a bag, stuffed, unstuffed, and dry-rubbed.

How to Cook a Turkey in the oven


I've used strategies that Alton Brown, Ina Garten, Martha Stewart, and others have advised. I've ultimately learned from them, but none more so than my mother. She is far superior to those well-known chefs. I should have left things alone and prepared my turkeys like my mother did. She knew how to roast a turkey such that it stays moist while being entirely done.

Today, I roast my turkey in Mom's style with a few modifications I've picked up along the way.


Undoubtedly, there are several effective methods for roasting a turkey. If you're an expert at roasting turkeys and have a system in place, congratulations, and keep doing what you're doing! This article is intended for novices who have never cooked a turkey and those who have attempted to roast a turkey in the past but had disappointing results. I'm providing the straightforward technique in this post that consistently produces fantastic, juicy turkeys.


I'll start with an overview of my advice and then walk you through each stage in great detail. The truth is that roasting a turkey is not difficult or time-consuming. But if you don't know your way around one of these large birds, it might be frightening. So, if you've never prepared a turkey or have encountered problems with uneven outcomes, I hope I can take the guesswork out of the equation for you (as I did for many years).


Here is my straightforward advice. They are a synthesis of knowledge from my mother, other cooks, and my kitchen years of trial and error.


The Best Roast Turkey


1st, assemble the equipment.

Everything will go more quickly if you make a list of things you need to have on hand before you start cooking the turkey. Here are some of my tried-and-true suggestions.


A rack and roasting pan. 

I chose a roasting pan made of strong stainless steel. To avoid cleaning after the large feast, some people use disposable aluminum roasting pans, commonly available at grocery shops in November. Several roasting pans include racks. My pull-apart stand comes highly recommended if you need to purchase one. It removes the inconvenience of transferring a large turkey to a dish or cutting board once it has been lifted off the rack.




Water- and heat-resistant gloves. 

I originally purchased these great gloves when grilling, but I now routinely switch out my old fabric oven mitts for these. They make handling the turkey so simple. As you can see in the photo below, I rotated my turkey as it was cooking. I used to accomplish it by using folded paper towels, but I had to move swiftly to avoid having my hands burnt by the grease and heat. It's elementary with these gloves. The gloves may be cleaned in the dishwasher or with sudsy water.


Cooking twine to join the turkey's legs with a knot.


Pastry brush made of silicon. For brushing melted butter or olive oil on the turkey before placing it in the oven. It's easier to clean up, and I prefer it over a natural bristle brush.


A reliable thermometer is essential. Without checking the interior temperature of your turkey, it is practically impossible to determine whether it is perfectly done. When roasting a turkey, I use two thermometers.


An electronic thermometer. During cooking, it is inserted into the bird. The monitor is mounted on a counter away from the oven and connected via a lengthy, oven-safe connection. (There are expensive wireless probe thermometers; I haven't used them.) There is no need to take the turkey in and out of the oven to check on its doneness since an alert sounds when it reaches the proper temperature. It helps me better schedule when to prepare the other side dishes for the meal because I can see the temperature grow. When I grill or bake meat, I also use a probe thermometer. awesome device


An electronic thermometer. I use this almost every time I prepare meat, whether it's on the grill, the stove, or both. To ensure that the turkey has achieved the proper 

temperature throughout; I utilize it after the remote thermometer alert sounds to check various locations on the thigh and breast. If you don't have a remote thermometer, you may get by with one of these to check the turkey's temperature while it cooks. The best thermometer available is one I have called a Thermapen. But the price is high. However, you may get a quick-read thermometer that is more reasonably priced, has comparable characteristics, and works well. But in all seriousness, acquire an instant-read thermometer if you don't already have one!


Step 2. Assemble THE INGREDIENTS.


A defrosted, ambient turkey. Bring it to room temperature and let it sit out for 30 to 60 minutes before putting it in the oven to ensure equal cooking. This particular bird weighs 14 pounds. I've prepared a variety of turkeys, ranging in price from a cheap frozen supermarket brand to an expensive, specially ordered, fresh, organic bird. Sincerely, I haven't seen much of a difference in flavor when they are cooked by this post's directions. 


I bought the turkey for this post on sale right after Thanksgiving last year. Before I thawed and fried it to make these pictures, it had been in my freezer for 11 months. After spending that much time in the freezer, I was shocked by how nice it was; it was just as moist and flavorful as anything I had cooked. Conclusion: The secret to a wet and tasty turkey is how you prepare it. Purchase the turkey that best suits your needs and budget.



  • Almond oil (or melted butter, if you prefer)


  • Pepper and salt


  • Parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme are some of the famous fresh herbs of Simon and Garfunkel. (If you fail to get the allusion, you are too young, and I am too old.)


  • 1 onion, quartered and peeled


  • 1 quartered lemon



Step 3: Remove and discard any red pop-up thermometers that came with your turkey. They are pretty inconsistent and may offer a false feeling of security regarding how long to cook your turkey. When I started roasting turkeys, I depended on them to let me know when the bird was done since I didn't know any better. The typical outcome is dry, overdone turkey. The turkey thighs were occasionally so underdone that they were still bloodied. That object didn't even appear once. Simply refuse to utilize such worthless devices.


Step 4. Your turkey's legs are likely being held together by a clamp made of metal or plastic. In that case, squeeze the legs to free them from the clamp. You may either remove the clamp or keep it in the bird. I'd instead take it out.


Step 5: Turkeys often have bags containing their giblets and necks. From the central hollow in the back, remove the channel.


Step 6: Take the giblet sack out of the neck end cavity.


What should be done with the giblets and neck? Throwing them away is the simplest solution because you won't need them to roast the bird. I like to use them to create broth, though. When the bird goes into the oven, the broth begins to cook; it is done long before the turkey does. Make gravy by combining the pan drippings and the stock. Or, you may use it to saturate stuffing. Check out my simple recipe for this quick broth:


Step 7: Lower the tail and place them within the cavity to flavor the turkey as it cooks from the inside out. Put some pepper and salt within. While retaining one of the onion quarters, add the lemon, onion, and herbs.


Step 8: Return the tail to the open hole by raising it again.


Step 9: Overlap the turkey skin to cover the cavity entrance (this keeps moisture inside the turkey as it cooks). You might need to use toothpicks or turkey skewers to hold the skin in place, though occasionally, the skin will seal together on its own. (I used toothpicks for my turkey skewers as I couldn't find them.)


10 step: Secure the legs with a piece of kitchen twine.


Step 11: Insert the saved onion quarter into the hollow at the neck end by lifting the skin covering it. Pull the skin back down over the onion to keep the onion in place and cover the opening.


Step 12:  Retract each wing tip and tuck it under the bird. The guidance also aids in holding the skin of the neck cavity in place while preventing the wing from burning.


Step 13: After patting the turkey dry with a paper towel, liberally spray olive oil over the top (breast side). (If you'd prefer, use melted butter.) Turn the turkey over and place it in the roasting pan and rack. Apply olive oil by brushing it all over the turkey. If you want the skin seasoned, you may sprinkle on some salt, pepper, and/or dry herbs. I don't bother with it; all I use on my skin is olive oil.


Step 14: Place the turkey in a preheated oven at 400 degrees for an hour, then lower the heat to 350 degrees.


Step 15: Take the turkey out of the oven for a moment after it has been cooking in the oven for around two hours in total. It ought to be a lovely, dark brown. For the remainder of the cooking process, turn it over so that the breast faces up. Heatproof, waterproof gloves might be helpful in this situation. Just take hold of the bird and turn it over. If you don't have gloves, use folded paper towels on either end and flip them over rapidly to avoid burning your hands as heat and grease permeate the paper.


NOTE: As the breast cooks for the last hour, the rack ridges visible on it will reappear.


Step 16:  Place the remote thermometer probe into the thickest portion of the thigh before putting the turkey back in the oven. It's crucial to avoid inserting the investigation within a cavity or up against a bone. Set the thermometer to alert when the thigh reaches 165–170 degrees.


Step 17: Use an instant-read thermometer to check that the turkey is thoroughly done after removing it from the oven. On the other side, take the temperature of the thigh (some ovens cook unevenly). Check the thickest section of the breast as well; it should be 160 degrees when taken out of the range. Approximately, the internal temperature will keep rising. 5 degrees are added after the bird is taken out of the oven.


Step 18:  Cover the turkey loosely with foil and let it rest. You may leave the pan drippings in the pan while it rests if you're not going to use them to make gravy. (See my recipe for Make-Ahead Turkey Gravy to save yourself the stress of cooking it right before the turkey is done.) A dish or cutting board should be used instead before covering the turkey. Give the turkey at least 30 minutes to rest to allow the fluids to permeate the flesh. It's still hot and juicy after 45 to 60 minutes of relaxing for me. Due to the extended rest, I have time to bake buns, vegetables, and dressing in the oven.







Post a Comment

0 Comments